Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com: Hurricane Sandy: A Cranky Woman Becomes Even Crankier

The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com
The Full Feed from HuffingtonPost.com
Hurricane Sandy: A Cranky Woman Becomes Even Crankier
Nov 3rd 2012, 14:20

I have to be honest. I'll be 50 on Monday, and Hurricane Sandy has turned me into a spoiled 5-year-old instead of the sleek sophisticate I assumed I'd morph into during this milestone week. As Gov. Chris Christie wins kudos for rising above partisan politics to do his job in a time of crisis -- and President Obama praises FEMA for cutting through red tape -- a tour of my wind-ravaged town that's still almost entirely without power has mutated me from a semi-sane mother of three into the angry, nasty coot I've always dreaded becoming.

You see, ever since Sandy's playful romp along the East Coast on Monday, knocking out electricity to more than 80 percent of homes in Montclair, New Jersey, where I live, I've been slowly losing my mind along with my ability to use a hair straightener. Am I the only one?

Next door, a tree crashes through the fence, meaning my neighbors can no longer allow their dog out without a leash. Elsewhere, a 150-foot-tree rests precariously close to a bay window. Downed power lines translate into an awful lot of detours. And what's worse? Water, water everywhere but nary a drop on any store shelf. In fact, most businesses are closed although the Chinese restaurant still serves spring rolls. If you do come across a store that's open, you'll find little more than pasta, Doritos and cans of Beefaroni. And if you need gas? Well, you should have thought about that a week ago.

Read More... More on Hurricane Sandy 2012

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment